Friday, June 17, 2011

Macau & Hong Kong

 I was in Macau for a few days last week. Macau is known for its outrageous gambling scenes. However, I am not much of a gambler, so I did what I did best- explore food!

Shark fin soup is considered a luxurious cuisine in Asia. They typically are only served for special occasions. However, my dad heard from friends that there are a couple places in Macau that offer great shark fin soup for a great price. We had to try it! 
The chicken based soup was quite good. It was rich and flavorful. Shark fin had a crunchier texture, the combination of the fin and the soup was quite delicious.


This is a Macau must! Portuguese egg tarts! Macau was a Portuguese colony for a long time therefore a lot of food that I saw were Portuguese inspired. The egg tarts are made of pastry crust and filled with egg custard. Of all the places that we've tried. This one located in the Venetian Resort was definitely my favorite-


 We waited 20 minutes for a fresh baked batch!


 Oh my gosh… the crust was warm and flakey and the egg custard was hot, creamy, soft and not too sweet! They were sinfully delicious.

We also tried the 燕窩 egg tart from another place. It is made with swallow's nest, another Chinese delicacy. This one tasted just okay to me since the swallow's nest does not have much of a taste.

We stopped at this traditional sweet shop for some jello and durian ice cream.

We got the original jello. It was light and refreshing!

Then there it is, durian ice cream. Durian is a very very stinky fruit, people hate it or love it. We happen to be ones who love it. The ice cream was full of flavor and actually tasted like frozen durians!

Last but not least, I found this in the streets of Hong Kong. It is called 山竹, mangosteen. Oh my god, I have been looking for these for the past 12 years. They used to be my favorite fruit when I was little but they stopped importing them to Taiwan! I literally almost cried when I saw them.

 When you open one, it looks like this. The fruit is juicy, sweet yet tart…

The trip was wonderful to my tummy. I was beyond a happy camper after all the cool and yummy things that I indulged in!

No comments:

Post a Comment