Friday, September 30, 2011

Chicken, Artichoke and Cannellini Bean Spezzatino

You know, one pot meals just seem like my go-to's these days. With the busy schedule, I usually make a one-pot meal a week- I save half in the fridge and half in the freezer. Then, I rotate my freezer "inventories" each week to the fridge, so I have different things on hand each week. Get it? no? It's ok, it's not that important.

Anyway, this week I made chili, seen here, so that's nothing new. However, last week, I took on Giada's Chicken, Artichoke and Cannellini Bean Spezzatino, and I must say that it was a success!




Spezzatino? What is that? No worries, it really just means "stew" (thank you, Google translate) This recipe was oh so easy and fast! Plus, I love chicken and artichoke (can't say the same with beans, but I was able to tolerate them in this dish.) so you must try it too.

I made very few alterations from this original recipe - I skipped pancetta! I did not have it on hand, and I did not want to go out and buy it. Honest? yes, I think so. Also, I used dried basil instead of fresh, and lastly, I used chicken thigh instead of breast. No biggies!

So here is my version of the spezzatino!

Ingredients:

2 tablespoon of olive oil
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, halved
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
2(14-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken stock
1 tablespoon of dried basil leaves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 bay leaf
4 pieces of boneless chicken thigh, cubed
12 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

Directions:
Add oil, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in saucepan in medium-high heat. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock, basil, tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf. Add the chicken and press down to submerge. Bring the liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, turning the chicken over and stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add the artichoke and the cannellini beans and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid has reduced slightly, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf and discard. Season the spezzatino with salt and pepper, to taste.

And that's it... Thanks Giada, you are too awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment